Spokane Fire Department Press Release:
A 42 year old female was critically burned this morning when embers from a cigarette she was smoking ignited a blanket she had wrapped around her for warmth. The patient is confined to a wheelchair and was unable to put out the fire or remove herself from the chair.
Two nearby bystanders came to her aid, removed her from the wheelchair, and extinguished the fire that was encompassing her. The patient was treated on scene by Fire Dept Paramedics and was transported to SHMC with 2nd and 3rd degree burns over approximately 28% of her body. After being stabilized at SHMC she was flown to Harborview Burn Center in Seattle for advanced treatment. Spokane Police also responded to this incident and provided scene control.
Damage:The wheelchair was completely destroyed