Spokane Valley Fire Department Press Release: SPOKANE VALLEY, Wash. - At 4:30 AM this morning crews from the Spokane valley Fire Department responded to reported fire at the Meadow Wood apartments at 2121 N Houk. Due to the amount of smoke, type of building (apartment,) and time of the morning the fire was upgraded to a 2nd alarm. The fire involved two (2) apartments and the attic. The occupants of both apartments were already out of the building when fire units arrived. Ladder 8 initiated fire attack from the exterior and as other crews arrived moved to the interior. Rescue 8 began evacuating the remaining apartments. The fire was quickly knocked down and crews then checked for fire extension. There were numerous "hot spots" discovered in the attic and walls which were subsequently extinguished. The fire appears to have started on a patio on the ground floor and extended to the balcony above and then into the attic. The fire is currently under investigation. There were no injuries and all pets are safe. Damage is estimated at $30,000. Many fires are started by carelessness. Please do not leave hot BBQs unattended and make sure all smoking materials are completely extinguished. Additionally, many types of potting soil will burn; this is not a good place to extinguish smoking materials.