SPOKANE, Wash. - Two people were displaced from their home Sunday after a fire severely damaged the inside.
Firefighters were called to a home on N. Market St. just north of Francis for a report of a structure fire. The homeowner says she left her bedroom momentarily only to return and find a fire inside her bedroom. She attempted to put out the flames, but was unsuccessful and she left the house with her granddaughter.
Crews were notified that both occupants of the home were out safely and began their attack. Firefighters were able to extinguish the flames, but the inside of the home suffered major damage.
No injuries were reported, however a cat is missing. The Red Cross will be assisting the two occupants, a grandma and granddaughter.
The cause is being investigated at this time, however we are told an unattended cigarette may have played a factor.