PRESS RELEASE FROM SPOKANE VALLEY FIRE DEPARTMENT:
Spokane Valley Firefighters were dispatched to a reported house fire at 1:13 this morning. First arriving crews reported heavy fire coming from the garage and up graded the call to a working fire.
The home is for troubled kids and there were five people in the structure at the time of the fire. A Child Development Director that was at the home thought he heard something outside and went to take a look. As he looked out in the back of the home he saw smoke coming from the garage area. He went back inside and woke four of the kids up and got everyone out of the structure.
None of the tenants or firefighters was injured.
The home will be uninhabitable and American Red Cross was requested but cancelled. The kids will be taken to other homes in the area for shelter. The home had smoke alarms but they did not sound as the fire was contained to the garage. The home did suffer some smoke damage as some of the ceiling and walls were opened up to check for extension.
Six fire engines, one ladder truck and one rescue engine along with overhead personnel responded to the fire.
The home was insured and the fire is under investigation.
Working smoke alarms installed in your home gives an early detection of a fire and a better chance of survival. Remember to check them monthly and replace the batteries twice each year.