KHQ.COM - More people outdoors during the summer months means drivers need to be more aware of pedestrians, especially kids playing outside. The Spokane County Sheriff's Office has the following reminders for drivers, who should be on high-alert:
First, drivers are required to stop for pedestrians at intersections. Even if there's no painted crosswalk on the pavement, drivers must stop for people standing on the curb of an intersection waiting to cross the street. Failing to stop is a $124 fine. It's a $189 fine for park zones.
Next, slower speeds mean less injury. If a child is hit at 20 miles an hour, the Sheriff's Office says the child has a 90% chance of survival. If a child is hit at 30 miles an hour, the Sheriff's Office says the child has a 10% chance of survival. The statistics prove it's all the more reason to slow down in school zones and park zones.
Park zones are now listed at 20 miles an hour. Drivers caught speeding through the zone could be fined up to $784 dollars if they're driving 36 miles an hour or faster. Another reminder: school zone signs that read "When Children Present" are still enforced during the summer months if a child is in the area.
Despite the fine for a ticket, no one's life is worth taking the risk. Remember to slow down in park and school zones and keep an eye out for children this summer.