LEWISTON, Idaho - Emergency crews in Lewiston responded to a gas line break on 411 5th Street Monday afternoon.
Initial reports indicated that there was an explosion and flames seen coming from the area of the 5th Street renovation project. First responders found a large natural gas fed fire with flames shooting over 100 feet in the air.
Firefighters quickly worked to contain the fire and protect nearby exposures. Eventually Avista crews were able to shut off the 4 inch gas line after about 20 minutes.
The fire destroyed a large back hoe being used by Albright Construction and caused damage to the closed Twin City Foods warehouse, a dump truck, railroad crossing equipment and overhead power lines.
There were no injuries reported.