SPOKANE, Wash. - Three people were hospitalized in an early morning fire on Wednesday, according to Spokane Fire officials.
Battalion Chief Dave Haworth told KHQ, first on the scene, that emergency personnel arrived at the home on 4th and Magnolia in east Spokane for a medical call before they realized the woman they were treating had inhaled a lot of smoke.
That's what prompted emergency crews to call in a full-response structure fire.
Crews on scene say the fire started in one of the back bedrooms.
Three people were in the house at the time the fire broke out and all three were transported to a local hospital to be treated for smoke inhalation, though fire crews say their injuries are non-life threatening.
Battalion Chief Haworth told KHQ that the cold weather is an element that affects how they fight fires in the winter. Haworth says that many times the freezing water will make their hoses stiffen up, and make waking through the home a hazard with ice on the floor.
Fire investigators were at the scene early Wednesday to inspect the damage, but officials say the worst was contained to just the bedroom where the fire started.
At this point there is no known cause.