KHQ.COM - It was a very busy day for firefighters and power crews as power poles across Spokane caught fire knocking out power to neighborhoods all over the city.
It started late Monday afternoon in north Spokane in the area of Francis and Pittsburg.
A transformer laid in the road after a fire burned through a power pole sending it crashing to the street. A nearby business owner who lost power described it like a car had hit his building. Firefighters told KHQ this is actually normal after a long dry spell followed by rain and thunderstorms. Dust actually settles on power poles and transformers and after it rains, the power actually arcs with help from static electricity in the air catching the wooden poles on fire. At its peak the fires knocked out power to over 200 homes in neighborhoods all over Spokane. Avista crews spent Monday night repairing those poles, saying there's nothing they can really do to prevent fires like these, but customers can prevent damage by unplugging appliances during an outage or getting a surge protector for electronics.