SPOKANE, Wash. - Spokane firefighters were called to a structure fire near the intersection of Nevada and Lincoln at Cascade Place and Wilding Drive Sunday morning.
When crews arrived they saw smoke coming from the ceiling of the home and they were told everyone was out of the house. Firefighters immediately began attacking the flames and were able to put them out quickly.
Officials on scene say the occupants were actually sleeping at the time of the fire but woke up to the smell of heavy smoke and were able to get out safely. One woman with a pre-exisiting medical condition that was accelerated by the smoke was taken to the hospital for treatment.
We are told the fire was very deep-seeded in the ceiling of the house and may have been burning for a while before it was even noticed. As a result, there is heavy damage to the home and the residents won't be able to immediately return.
We are also told that there was no working smoke detector in the area where the fire started, so this is a good reminder to check your smoke detectors.