“Things that make the holidays a great time of year – cookies, presents and a house full of company – can actually be hazards to our four-legged friends,” according to Nancy Hill, the Regional Director of SCRAPS. “We advise pet owners to take a minute and make sure their house is pet-friendly.”
Here are a few items that can be particularly harmful this time of year:
• Holiday Lighting and Candles
Got a pet that likes to chew? Electrical shock may occur when a pet chomps down on an electrical cord, causing tongue lacerations and possible death. Consider using LED candles instead of actual flames and place them in a hard-to-reach spot so that your pets can not access them.
• Gift Wrap Ribbon
You may be tempted to fashion your pet with a decorative ribbon “collar” but beware that this could become a choking hazard.
• Food Hazards
Festive events often mean edible treats — and lots of them. Unfortunately, some of the most popular holiday goodies, such as chocolate, turkey bones and nuts, can be extremely toxic or fatal to pets. Artificial sweeteners are also toxic so make sure your furry friends don’t taste your holiday baked-goods.
If you’d like to make pet-friendly treats, log onto the SCRAPS website at www.spokanecounty.org/SCRAPS. They have recipes that are good and good for them.
• Toxic Holiday Plants
They may be pretty, but some holiday plants are poisonous—even deadly. These include: Christmas tree pine needles, Holly, Mistletoe, and Poinsettias.
Most importantly, make sure your pet has a license and microchip. With a house full of guests, you never know when they may become frightened and run away. The holidays won’t be very merry if you’ve lost your best friend.
SOURCE – SCRAPS press release, December 18th, 2014