It looks like we'll be having a warm and beautiful weekend, at least up until Sunday when the Spring rain gets here. Luckily there are plenty of things going on in and out of doors to keep you occupied throughout the days. You can start the weekend off by working out for a good cause at the Shake Your Tail Zumbathon fundraiser to benefit the Spokane Humane Society on Friday, May 10th. The event takes place from 6-8pm at Lincoln Center and costs $12-15 to participate.
Saturday evening you can head over to the Magic Lantern to see the 2013 50 Hour Slam Film Festival. Over 30 filmmaking teams originally signed up to make three to six minute short films in just 50 hours over one weekend, and 15 finalists were chosen from the completed films. Screenings of the finalists will take place at 5pm and again at 7:30pm, but the festival starts at 4pm and runs until 9:30pm. Along with screenings of the films other events such as live poetry readings and performances by local bands Flying Spiders and Cathedral Pearls will take place in the Saranac Public House. Tickets for the film festival will be $10 each.
If short films aren't your thing, you can instead head over to Riverpark Square to see a special performance by Spokane Aerial Performing Arts. They will be joined by Cirque aerial, fire, and duo-acro performer Cheetah Platt. The performance is free to view and will take place from 7:30-9pm in the Riverpark Square Atrium.
Don't forget that Sunday is Mother's Day! If you are looking for something unique to do with your loved one, why not head over to the Bing Crosby Theater for "Listen to Your Mother," a group of readings in celebration of motherhood done by 13 local writers including Becky Ammerman, Caroline Fowler, Mery Smith, and Rebecca Mack. Tickets cost $15 each and the show starts at 7pm.
Come back every Friday to find out what is going on in and around Spokane! Know of something exciting coming up that everyone needs to check out? Alert us in the comments below!
Post new comment
Recent blog posts
- Adventures in Spokane - Part Nineteen: Where Chocolate Becomes a Wonderfall, Geek Girls Meet, and I Play on the Radio
- Adventures in Spokane - Part Eighteen: Where I Hate Snow, Stuff My Face with Tacos, and Ponder Pretty Science Fiction
- Special Feature! - Get Involved in Breast Cancer Awareness Month
- Special Feature! - Get Involved with Adopt-A-Shelter-Dog Month
- Adventures in Spokane - Part Seventeen: Where I Turn Another Year Older, Try to Steal a Dragon, and Pet a Giant Tortoise
- Get Ready for Some Schedule Changes - Programming on FOX28!
- Adventures in Spokane - Part Sixteen: Where I Go on Hiatus, Family Invades Spokane, and Nothing Goes as Planned
- Adventures in Spokane - Part Fifteen: Where a Donut Tries to Kill Me, I Eat to Stop the Pain, and Sharks Fall from the Sky
- Adventures in Spokane - Part Fourteen: Where I Actually Find Snakes, See Giant Robots vs Giant Monsters, and Drink Lots of Wine
- Adventures in Spokane - Part Thirteen: Searching for Creatures, Laughing It Up Live, and Dune Disappointment